Hardware Production Test Survey – Here are the results!
On April 3 we sent out a survey to determine if there is interest in a Hardware Production Test Application (HPT), a VTOS derivative, running as an application on top of the customer’s embedded Operating System (OS). We provided a product description (included at the end of this blog) and asked them to complete six questions. Those completing the survey could also register to win a tablet. Thanks to all who completed the survey – your feedback is valuable to us.
The majority (75%) of the respondents indicated that this product would solve problems. The survey then asked which OS they would like to see supported first by this new product. Over 50% indicated a Linux variant, with Microsoft coming in second, and a variety of other responses. The survey then asked how they functionally test their embedded system in manufacturing today: 31% use no OS, 52% use an OS, and 17% use other methods. When looking at other answers, a number of respondents indicated they use Kozio Software and a number also wanted to select multiple answers (which wasn’t allowed).
Would this product solve problems you are currently experiencing – or expect to experience in the future?
Which operating system would you want this product to support first?
In manufacturing how do you do functional test of the embedded system today?\
And the Winner Is
Lastly, we gave away an Apple iPad 2. To pick the winner I used random.org to generate a random number between 1 and the total number of respondents who completed the survey. The lucky winner was 12, which turned out to be Avery Till. Congratulations to Avery, we hope you enjoy your iPad 2.
Product Description (From Survey)
The HPT Application is a licensed software application that is loaded and run as a separate process by an embedded operating system, such as Linux, Windows Embedded, and others. It will run on and test your embedded device hardware, and will come bundled with companion tools for manufacturing test station PCs. These tools will communicate with HPT ‘out of band’ over Serial, Ethernet, USB, or WiFi.
The HPT application will:
- Include several hundred pre-written tests for embedded hardware.
- Access the hardware through the low-level drivers used by your embedded OS.
- Execute tests quickly for the shortest possible test times.
- Allow a test engineer to create new commands, tests, and test groups using easy scripting.
- Easily integrate with third party test executives, such as TestStand.
- Create reports in multiple modes and record results to a networked database.
- Add user prompts for manufacturing stations.
- Write to programmable devices for in-system programming.
- The process is simple:
- Load – Load the application image through your OS
- Run – Run the application and use the PC tools to test interactively or through automated test sequences.