Kozio License Server Instructions
1.0 License Server Overview
All Kozio products require a license for full operation.
These instructions cover the steps needed to work with floating licenses. A floating license is a license that can be used by any computer with network access to a license server. A floating license is tied to a single server, but can be checked out by any networked computer. The license server is typically installed on a separate server computer, but it can be installed on any networked computer.
Kozio uses license management software from Reprise Software. The floating license server is provided free of charge.
- Kozio provides floating licensing support for Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10, and Linux servers.
- 3 MB of disk space is required for the floating license server
2.0 License Server Installation
The first step is to log into the Kozio support web site and choose Software Downloads. A login is required for the download. If you have not registered, click on Support | Register to do so. The process takes a minute or two. Download the Windows or Linux package. (Click on any image to enlarge.)
Note: Only 32-bit images are provided, but they should run on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems.
2.1 Windows Installations
- Create a new folder on the server, such as C:\kozio-rlm
- Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file to C:\kozio-rlm.
- Launch a Windows cmd.exe window. You must launch this command window with Administrator rights.
- Change directories to C:\kozio-rlm.
- Run kozio_rlm_install_license_service.bat
- This step will install the Kozio RLM License Server as a Service on the computer.
- The file kozio_rlm_usage.txt provides additional usage information id needed.
2.2 Linux Installations
- Create a new folder on the server, such as /home/kozio-rlm
- cd ~
- mkdir kozio-rlm
- cd kozio-rlm
- Unzip and then untar the contents of the downloaded zip file to the new folder
- Start the server from command line with “./rlm”
- The file kozio_rlm_usage.txt provides additional usage information.
3.0 License Server Access and Status
Once installed, you can use any web browser to access the license server portal. Use the license server portal to check on license status, to activate new licenses, check diagnostics, restart the service, and other tasks.
Note: If you have a firewall installed and running on your server, you must open up TCP/IP ports 5053 and 5054.
To check on license status, follow these steps. The license status screen will display all licenses installed, their version (Ver), a license count (count), and in use stats (inuse).
- Launch a web browser
- Enter SERVERNAME:5054 for the address. For these examples, our server host name was DESKTOP-7R8N6DS, so we entered DESKTOP-7R8N6DS:5054.
- You should see the main portal page.
- Click on Status.
- On the next screen, click on the “kozio” button under the Server Status column.
- The next screen displays License pool status. This screen contains a list of all installed licenses, their version, a license count, how many are in use, and a button to show usage.
4.0 License Activation
This section describes how to activate new licenses using one or more Activation Keys provided by Kozio. This step requires Internet access to complete.
- Use a web browser and browse to SERVERNAME:5054.
- Click on the Activate License button in the left-hand panel. This brings you to the License Activation page.
- Click on BEGIN License Activation.
- Leave the default setting of “www.hostedactivation.com” and click on Next.
- Enter “kozio” for the “ISV:” text box. Then cut and paste one activation key from the list provided to the “License activation key:” text box. Sorry, but this portal access only allows ONE activation key at a time. Click Next.
- For the “License File to create or edit” text box, you can either use the default or choose a more descriptive file name. You may wish to use the activation key as the file name. Please note, you must always leave the “.lic” file extension present. Click Next.
- Leave the “License Server or Node-lock hostid” text box with the default value. Enter the license count for “License count (for floating licenses)” based on what you purchased or want to activate on this server. The value ranges from 1 up to the total provided in the activation key. Click Next.
- The Activation Request Data page displays a summary of all the data you entered. If you need to change any setting, click on the Back button. Click on REQUEST LICENSE to activate your license and to save the license file on your server.
- When all works as expected, the next page provides the license file that was created and saved to your server. You must restart the server to start using the new license files. If you have multiple activation keys to process, repeat all of the prior steps before restarting the license server.
5.0 Restart License Server
This step will restart the license server, which in turns forces the license server to read all license files – every file that follows this format: *.lic. This process should take only a minute or two.
- From the main SERVERNAME:5054 page, click on the Reread/Restart Servers button on the left-hand panel.
- On the next page, select “kozio” in the ISV: pull-down. Click the REREAD/RESTART button.
- After a short period of time, typically a few seconds, you will see the page updated.
- The next step is to follow the instructions under License Server Access and Status in this document and verify that all activated licenses are showing.